Steel structure refers to a new structural form that incorporates the uses of different structural steel shapes. It is a cost-effective substitute to reinforced concrete building in modern construction for industrial, agricultural, commercial and civil uses.
The structural steel serves as the main construction materials for making steel structure buildings, and it falls in a variety of shapes and sizes. It can be widely applied to build industrial plants, large-span buildings, high-rise buildings, residential buildings as well as composite structures of reinforced concrete.
Installation of steel structure and QD double girder overhead crane in Chile
Steel structure and LD 10 ton overhead crane in Uzbekistan
Bridge steel structure shipped to Bangladesh
Types of Steel Structures
For overhead crane users who are seeking for constructing their own facilities, we offer almost all kinds of steel buildings for the individual needs. In regard to different uses and purposes, the building structures come in varied forms and styles. The following are some examples of metal building construction for different occasions.
- Steel workshop: it is a sort of single-story industrial steel building , widely applied to manufacturing, assembly and repairing plants. For overhead travelling crane owners who look for a quick project completion, the steel workshop is both an efficient and economical construction solution.
- Steel warehouse: it is a safe and eco-friendly option for manufacturing plants and other workplaces to store raw materials and goods. This type of building form will be fabricated according to your practical needs.
- Steel shed: the steel shed can be used as a storage space, workshop, car shed, farm shed and so on. Unlike concrete construction, it can be built without foundation.
- Other steel construction types such as heavy steel structure and light steel structure are available for you to choose from.
The Advantages of Steel Construction Buildings
- Steel frame construction has high strength, great rigidity and durability.
- It is the most economical building form so that it will help save a great deal of cost.
- The steel construction has lightweight, making it easy to transport.
- They will shorten the construction period as they can be prefabricated in the manufacture’s factory and then delivered to the construction site for installation. The erecting process is also quick and easy.
- Compare with concrete construction, the steel frame building construciton has better load carrying capacity.
- They are versatile, which makes it easy to be assembled, disassembled and replaced.
- The steel structure workshop is an environmental friendly building form as it can be recycled easily.
- The steel construction can withstand severe environments and has excellent earthquake resistance.
Various Designs of Steel Structures
The design of steel structures is highly customized according to your particular uses and local environment. With regard to steel frame construction design, there are typically three styles, including conventional steel structure, bolted steel construction and light steel structure. Each design has its own unique features and advantages.
Conventional type steel construction refers the members of steel will be cut to certain lengths by structural steel fabricators and then welded together on site or partially in the workshop in order to save time.
Bolted steel construction, as the name implies, is connected by high tensile bolts. It is a preferred option for many projects as the most of the components will be fabricated in the workshop and then simply bolted into place at construction site, which will bring about fast construction process and accelerate project completion. The pre engineered steel building is a typical example of bolted steel construction.
Light steel structure is more often found in small metal construction buildings or residential buildings, which generally uses thin sheets of steel.
Which construction method is right for you? Before making the purchase, you need to consider a few things, such as the specific uses, required dimensions, requirements for seismic rating and wind resistance, and environmental conditions. We provide all kinds of steel buildings to fulfill your requirements. For more details, contact us online now.
Steel Structure Components
The typical single-story industrial steel structure is generally composed of steel columns, beams, purlins, roof trusses, wall frames, bracing system and crane beams. These components are normally manufactured off-site by structural steel fabricators and then erected on site. They will be connected by welding and high tensile bolts.
This industrial building form can create large span and are quick to set up and into use. The primary structure consists of Q345B steel columns, beams and purlins, and the steel strength is 345Mpa. The main framework is formed by connecting H beam, C purlin, Z-shaped purlin and U shape purlin.
In regard to bracing system, the horizontal roof bracing will use angle steel, wall column and cross bracing will adopt double-layer angle steel.
Wall And Roof Panels
The steel construction panels are available in multiple styles, including single color sheet, sandwich panel and single sheet with insulation. They have a good effect of thermal insulation so that it will save a lot of energy costs.
As it is easy to assemble, disassemble, replace and remove the steel construction, the steel buildings can be modified readily according to your particular requirements. Flexible layout provides various possibilities and functions for your facility.
Structural steel is a sort of steel used as the main component of steel construciton buildings, and it is available in various shape, including I-beam, Z-shape, HSS-shape, C-beam, T-shaped cross-section, bar, rod and plate, and each form is for different uses.
The structure steel is a kind of highly durable material, most of which come with an elongated beam that has a specific cross-sectional shape, thus the steel construction can support a heavy load as well as withstand a large amount of external pressure.
These are made of the same ingredients, mainly iron and carbon. The strength and ductility of steel is highly determined by carbon content. The more carbon content, the high the strength and lower the ductility.
In many construction projects, it will utilize a combination of several materials to produce a proper and efficient structure, such as combining the uses of structural steel, concrete and stonework. But most industrial buildings are mainly constructed by way of either structural steel or reinforced concrete.
- To build heavy industrial plants
- To build high rise buildings
- To build bridges, pipe supports, blast furnace and boiler frames, etc.
- To build large-span structures
- To build residential buildings
Floor deck is steel bearing plate or building profiled steel plate formed by rolling and cold bending of galvanized steel plate. Its cross-section is V-shaped, U-shaped, trapezoidal or similar.
The floor deck is used as the tensile steel bar of the concrete floor slab, which improves the rigidity of the floor slab and saves the amount of steel and concrete.
The steel beam is a long steel with an I-shaped cross section. There are three types of I-beams: ordinary I-beams, light I-beams and H-beams.
The flanges of ordinary I-beam and light I-beam steel structures are gradually thinner from the root to the edge, and have a certain angle. Because of their relatively high and narrow cross-sectional dimensions, the moment of inertia of the two main sleeves on the cross-section is quite different. Therefore, they are generally only used for members that are bent in the plane of the web or form a lattice-type force-bearing member.
I-beams are widely used in various building structures, bridges, vehicles, supports, machinery, etc.
H-beam is a kind of economical cross-section steel with better mechanical properties, which is optimized and developed from I-beam steel.
H-shaped steel is divided into wide flange steel (HW), middle flange steel (HM), narrow flange steel (HN), thin-walled H steel (HT), and H-shaped steel (HU).
Advantages of H-beam:
- Wide flange, large lateral rigidity and strong bending resistance.
- The two surfaces of the flange are parallel to each other, making the connection, processing and installation easy.
- Compared with welding I-beams, it has low cost, high precision, low residual stress, no need for expensive welding materials and weld inspection, and saves about 30% of the prefab steel structure production cost.
- Under the same section load, the weight of the hot-rolled H beam steel structure is 15%-20% lighter than the traditional metal structure building.
- Compared with the concrete structure, the hot-rolled H-beam steel structure can increase the use area by 6%, while the structure weight is reduced by 20%-30%.
- H-shaped steel can be processed into T-shaped steel, combined with honeycomb beams to form various cross-sectional forms, which can meet the needs of various engineering designs and production.
C-shaped steel is processed by the hot-coiled plate and cold-bent, and is automatically processed by the C-shaped steel forming machine.
It is widely used in the purlins and wall beams of steel structure buildings, and can also be assembled into lightweight roof trusses, brackets and other building components. In addition, it can be used for columns, beams and arms in light machinery manufacturing.
The C-shaped steel has thin wall and light weight, excellent cross-section performance and high strength.
The square tube is section steel with square cross-section shape made of Q235 steel hot-rolled or cold-rolled, strip steel or coiled plate as the base material, formed by cold bending and then welded by high-frequency welding.
Round tube is a steel material that is open at both ends and has a hollow concentric cross-section.
The structural round steel is used according to its specifications: the small ones are used for decorative components, assembled roof trusses, support components, grids and tube trusses, and the larger ones can be used for steel tube concrete steel columns in heavy steel structure plants, large stadium tube trusses, etc.
Steel structures are widely used for the following reasons:
- Increase the total area utilization rate. Compare with traditional concrete structures, steel structure buildings can better consider the requirements of deep and flexible separation in engineering buildings, and can increase the total area utilization by reducing the total cross-sectional area of the column and applying lightweight partition panels.
- Environmental protection and energy saving. The wall adopts C-shaped steel, square steel tube, and color steel sandwich panels that are light-shaped, environmentally friendly and energy-saving, with good thermal insulation performance and good seismic resistance. Besides, most of the raw materials can be reused or dissolved.
- Excellent safety. The steel structure has good ductility, strong plastic deformation ability, and good seismic grade and impact resistance. Especially in the case of earthquake disasters and strong typhoons, the steel structure can prevent the building from collapsing damage.
- Reduce the investment cost. The steel structure has light weight, about half of that of the concrete structure, which can greatly reduce the cost of basic projects.
- Faster construction speed. The construction period of the steel structures is at least one-third less than the traditional concrete building construction.
- The design plan is more flexible. There are multiple plans to meet the different requirements of customers.
The grades and properties of commonly used steel structures:
- Carbon structural steel: Q195, Q215, Q235, Q255, Q275, etc.
- Low-alloy high-strength structural steel
- High-quality carbon structural steel and alloy structural steel
- Special purpose steel
There are three connection methods for steel structure: weld connection, bolt connection and rivet connection.
The welding seam connection is the partial melting of the welding rod and the weldment through the heat generated by the arc, and the welding is condensed into a weld by cooling, thereby connecting the weldment into a whole.
- Does not weaken the section of the component.
- Save steel
- Large connection rigidity
- Good sealing performance
- High production efficiency
Bolt connection is to connect the connecting parts into a whole through bolts. There are two types of bolt connection: ordinary bolt connection and high-strength bolt connection.
- Simple construction process
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Suitable for structures that require disassembly and temporary connection
In the rivet connection, a rivet with a semi-circular prefabricated nail head at one end is quickly inserted into the nail hole of the connector after the nail rod is burned red, and then the other end is also riveted into a nail head with a rivet gun to make the connection tight.
- Riveting force transmission is reliable, plasticity and toughness are good.
- The quality can be easy to check and guarantee.
- It can be used for heavy-duty structures and structures that directly bear dynamic loads.
- Axial tension member – a member that bears the axial tension acting through the axis of the cross-section centroid.
- Tension and bending member – a member that simultaneously bears the axial pressure and the bending moment around the main axis of the section centroid.
Contact Us For A Quote!
We are professional material handling equipment provider in China, and supply a variety of lifting equipment, such as overhead crane, gantry crane, jib crane, electric hoist and winch product. In order to simply the order process for potential overhead bridge crane users who also look for steel buildings supporting the cranes, we offer varied forms and sizes of structural steel construction. The products provided by our company is with superior quality and high durability, thus you can purchase from us with confidence.
To learn more about steel structure, email us or leave a message now.